Soho Rep presents
Young Jean Lee's Theater Company
Written and directed by Young Jean Lee
- LEAR had its World Premiere at Soho Rep. in New York from January 7, 2010 - February 14, 2010.
Nothing can protect you from nothing.
- Paul Lazar
- April Matthis
- Okwui Okpokwasili
- Pete Simpson
- Amelia Workman
- Matt Maher
- Choreography and Stage Movement by Dean Moss
- Scenic Design by David Evans Morris
- Costume Design by Roxana Ramseur
- Lighting Design by Raquel Davis
- Sound Design by Matt Tierney
- Dramaturgy by Mike Farry
- Production Stage Manager Anthony Cerrato
- Assistant Stage Manager Miranda Huba
- Associate Director Lee Sunday Evans
- Assistant Directors Morgan Gould and Joshua Lubin-Levy
Produced by Caleb Hammons
"The writer-director and her outstanding actors plumb the depths of a bona fide existential crisis ... [LEAR] has power and ought to endure"
— Time Out New York
"LEAR is a hot mess ... powerful ... fundamentally original."
— The New Yorker
"Lee uses [King Lear] and some beautifully unconventional additions to flesh out Shakespeare's themes of loneliness, mortality and filial responsibility in gratifying and moving depth."
— Sam Thielman, Variety
Click here for more press.
Soho Rep, New York, NY (World Premiere)
January 7-February 14, 2010
Swing Space at LMCC, New York, NY (Workshop)
Chashama, New York, NY (Reading)
LEAR is a commission of Soho Rep (Sarah Benson, Artistic Director). LEAR is a project of Creative Capital and the MAP Fund, a program of Creative Capital supported by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation. With funding from the Greenwall Foundation, the Jerome Foundation, and the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency. Residency support provided by Lower Manhattan Cultural Council's Swing Space program; space at 14 Wall Street is donated by Capstone Equities, and from Hedgebrook and UCROSS.
Photos by Blaine Davis